Jolie C. Holschen, MD, FACEP
Associate Professor – Department of Emergency Medicine, Loyola University Chicago – Stritch School of Medicine
Sports Medicine, University of South Carolina/Palmetto Richland
University of Chicago
Washington University School of Medicine
Areas Of Interest:
–Team Physician Chicago Wolves Hockey (AHL, 2013-present)
–Invited Team USA Physician at the World University Games in Gwangju, South Korea (2015)
–Team Physician USA Women’s Olympic Ice Hockey Team (Vancouver 2010)
–Team Physician USA Hockey National Team Development Program (2006-2010)
- Executive Committee & Member of the Faculty Council Loyola University (2015-present)
- Member Sports Medicine Examination Committee for the American Board of Emergency Medicine (2009-2015)
- Councilor to American College of Emergency Physicians representing the Sports Medicine Section (2012-2018)
- Member Sports Medicine Milestones Project Committee of the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (2013)
- Chair AMA Women Physicians Congress of the American Medical Association (2008-2009)
- Chair Sports Medicine Section of the American College of Emergency Physicians (2006-2008)
- International Presentations/Lectures:
- “FAST examination.” International Sports Medicine Symposium Universiade Gwangju 2015 at the World University Games- South Korea. Gwangju, South Korea. July 2, 2015.
- National Presentations/Lectures:
- “Sports Concussion Panel.” The American College of Emergency Physicians Scientific Assembly, Chicago, IL. October 27, 2014. Thom Mayer, Jolie Holschen, Julian Bailes, George Chiampas.
- “Extreme Sports.” The American College of Emergency Physicians Scientific Assembly, Seattle, WA. October 14, 2013.
- “Concussion Panel.” The American College of Emergency Physicians Scientific Assembly, Seattle, WA. October 15, 2013. Thom Mayer, Jolie Holschen, Jim Ellis, Keith Borg.
- “Management of Sudden Cardiac Arrest in Athletes- Keys to Improving Survival.” The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine annual meeting. San Diego, California. April 21, 2013.
- “The Physician’s Perspective on Sudden Death in Collegiate Strength and Conditioning Sessions.” The National Athletic Trainers Association national meeting. St. Louis, Missouri. June 27, 2012.
- “Airway Management.” American Medical Society for Sports Medicine annual meeting. Salt Lake City, Utah. May 1, 2011.
- “Treating Sports-Related Injury and Illness in the Emergency Department.” American College of Emergency Physicians Scientific Assembly. Seattle, Washington. October 8, 2007.
- “Ghost Busters: Occult Fractures You Don’t Want to Miss.” American College of Emergency Physicians Scientific Assembly. Seattle, Washington. October 8, 2007.
- Regional Lectures:
- Loyola University Sports Medicine Updates Conference
- “Update on the Sideline Management of Cervical Spine Injuries.” Loyola University Medical Center, Sports Medicine Updates Conference. February 6, 2016. Invited speaker.
- Loyola University Sports Medicine Updates Conference
- “Sudden Death: Screening and Beyond. Best Practices for Reducing Sudden Death in Collegiate Athletes.” Lecture at Loyola University undergraduate campus, Sports Medicine Updates Conference. June 17, 2017. Invited speaker.
- University of Michigan:
- “Foot and Ankle Exam Workshop.” University of Michigan Sports Medicine for the Primary Care Physician course. Ann Arbor, Michigan. October 25, 2006.
- “Head and Neck Injuries Workshop.” University of Michigan Sports Medicine for the Primary Care Physician course. Ann Arbor, Michigan. October 17, 2007. Spine boarding, helmet removal.
- Research Interests:
- The role of endogenous hormones and oral contraceptives in risk of injury
- Gender differences in injury
- Women’s professional issues in medicine
- Wu X, Holschen J, Kennedy S, and Ponder K. “Retroviral vector sequences may interact with some internal promoters and influence expression.” Human Gene Therapy 1996; 7(2): 159-171.
- Cardozo E, Meurer WJ, Smith BL, Holschen JC. The Utility of an Automated Notification System for Research Subject Recruitment. Emergency Medicine Journal 2010; 27(10): 786-787. Publication online June 1, 2010: doi:10.1136/emj.2009.081299.
- Tracy E, Wiler J, Holschen J, Patel S, Ligda K. “Topics to Ponder: Part-Time Practice and Pay Parity. “ Gender Medicine 2010; 7(4):350-356.
- The Inter-Association Task Force for Preventing Sudden Death in Collegiate Conditioning Sessions: Best Practices Recommendations. Douglas J. Casa, PhD, ATC, FNATA, FACSM (Chair); Scott A. Anderson, ATC; Lindsay Baker, PhD; Scott Bennett, MS, MSCC, SCCC, CSCS*D; Michael F. Bergeron, PhD, FACSM; Declan Connolly, PhD, FACSM, CSCS*D; Ron Courson, PT, ATC, NREMT-I, CSCS; Jonathan A. Drezner, MD; E. Randy Eichner, MD; Boyd Epley, MEd, RSCC*E, FNSCA; Steve Fleck, PhD, CSCS, FNSCA, FACSM; Rob Franks, DO, FAOASM; Kevin M. Guskiewicz, PhD, ATC, FNATA, FACSM; Kimberly G. Harmon, MD; Jay Hoffman, PhD, RSCC*D, FNSCA, FACSM; Jolie C. Holschen, MD, FACEP; Jon Jost, MS, RSCC*E; Alan Kinniburgh, PhD; David Klossner, PhD, ATC, Rebecca M. Lopez, PhD, ATC, CSCS; Gerard Martin, MS, RSCC*D; Brendon P. McDermott, PhD, ATC; Jason P. Mihalik, PhD, CAT(C), ATC; Tom Myslinski, MS, RSCC; Kelly Pagnotta, MA, ATC, PES; Sourav Poddar, MD; George Rodgers, MD, PhD; Alan Russell, MS, ATC, PES, CES; Latrice Sales; David Sandler, RSCC*D; Rebecca L. Stearns, PhD, ATC; Chuck Stiggins, EdD; Charlie Thompson, MS, ATC. Journal of Athletic Training 2012; 47(4):477–480.
- Pryor RR, Casa DJ, Holschen JC, O’Connor FG, Vandermark LW. Exertional heat stroke: strategies for prevention and treatment from the sports field to the emergency department. Clinical Pediatric Emergency Medicine. 2013;14(4):267-278. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016%2Fj.cpem.2013.10.005
- Luke N. Belval, Douglas J. Casa, William M. Adams, George T. Chiampas, Jolie C. Holschen, Yuri Hosokawa, John Jardine, Shawn F. Kane, Michele Labotz, Renée S. Lemieux, Kyle B. McClaine, Nathaniel S. Nye, Francis G. O’Connor, Bryan Prine, Neha P. Raukar, Michael S. Smith & Rebecca L. Stearns (2018): Consensus Statement- Prehospital Care of Exertional Heat Stroke, Prehospital Emergency Care, 2018; 22(3):392-297. PMID 29336710.
- Holschen, J. “The Female Athlete.” Symposium on Sports Medicine. The Southern Medical Journal. 2004; 97(9):852-858.
- The Sports Medicine Milestone Project. A joint initiative of the ACGME, the ABEM, the ABFM, ABP, ABPMR. July 2015. Chair: Peter J. Carek, MD. Working group: Holly Benjamin, Laura Edgar, Jolie C. Holschen, Kenneth Mautner, William Micheo, David Ross, Mark Stoval. Advisory Group: Michael Beeson, John DiFiori, Gerard E. Francisco, Joseph Gilhooly, Philip Shayne. https://www.acgme.org/Portals/0/PDFs/Milestones/SportsMedicineMilestones.pdf
- Creator and Editor of ‘The Sports Medicine Core Curriculum Lecture Series.’ http://www.acep.org/practres.aspx?id=47834. Published online January 2010.
- This comprehensive lecture series includes the most common and the most serious medical illness and injuries associated with athletes and physically active individuals. The series was created by the ACEP Sports Medicine Section to fill a current area of deficit in the curriculum of emergency medicine residency programs, i.e. musculoskeletal medicine, while also serving to promote one of the five board-certified subspecialties in the specialty.
- “Barometrics: Altitude & Exercise and Dive Medicine”
- “Cardiac Conditions in Athletes”
- “Head and Neck Injuries in Athletes”
- “Heat Illness Fluids and Electrolytes in Exercising Individuals”
- “Infectious Diseases in Sports Medicine”
- “Musculoskeletal Examination”
- “Occult Fractures and Dislocations”
- “Overuse Injuries”
- “Pediatric Sports Injuries”
- “Performance Enhancing Drugs”
Honors & Awards:
- Wolf & Kettle Teacher Award at Loyola Stritch School of Medicine (2018): Presented annually to the top 10% of clinical teachers in recognition of excellence as a clinical teacher and role model.
- Lutheran High School North (St. Louis, MO) Hall of Honor (2017)
- Service to Section Award. American College of Emergency Physicians. September 2010: This award recognizes the section’s exemplary work in developing and completing the Section Grant, Sports Medicine Core Curriculum Lecture Series.
- “Heroes of Emergency Medicine Recognition Award,” The American College of Emergency Physicians, 2008.
- AMWA Gender Equity Award, The University of Michigan AMWA Chapter, May 10, 2007; “honors faculty members who promote a gender-fair environment for the education and training of physicians, and who assure equal opportunities for women and men to study and practice medicine”.
- AMA Foundation Leadership Award, AMA Young Physicians Section, March 2006.
- NCAA CSMAS Best Research Poster (Investigating NCAA Athletes), May 1, 2006 at the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine 15th annual meeting. Holschen JC and Singal BM. College Athletes’ Preference of Physician Gender. Survey conducted at the University of South Carolina 2003.
- summa cum laude, Washington University in St. Louis
- St. Louis Post Dispatch Scholar Athlete at Lutheran High School North, St. Louis, MO, 1991
I enjoy traveling, coin collecting, gardening, and baking.