Megan A Rech, PharmD, MS, BCPS, BCCCP
- Adjunct Assistant Professor – Department of Emergency Medicine, Loyola University Chicago – Stritch School of Medicine
- Emergency Medicine Clinical Pharmacist
- PGY-2 Critical Care Pharmacy Residency Director
PGY-2 Critical Care Pharmacy Residency, 2010-11
Midwestern University/Rush University Medical Center
PGY-1 Pharmacy Residency, 2009-10
Henry Ford Hospital
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) School of Pharmacy, 2009
Areas Of Interest:
Teaching, data analysis, research pertaining to sepsis, stroke, pain and sedation, vasopressors, thrombolytics
- Professional Organizations:
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy, 2011 – Present
- Society of Critical Care Medicine, 2010 – Present
- CPP Practice Advancement Committee Member , 2018
- CCP Research & Scholarship Committee Member, 2011 – present
- Chair, 2018 – 2019
- Chair-elect, 2017 – 2018
- Charge Lead – Critical Care Pharmacotherapy Literature Updates, 2014 -2017
- Senior Editor – Critical Care Pharmacotherapy Literature Updates, 2012 – 2014
- CCP Programming Committee Member, 2011 – present
- CCP Education Committee Member, 2011 – present
- American Society of Health-System Pharmacists, 2007 – Present
- Selected Hospital Committees:
- Opioid Task Force, Co-chair, 2018
- PGY-2 Residency Advisory Committee (RAC), 2015 – present, Chair
- Pharmacy Department Research Committee, 2015 – Present, Chair
- Emergency Management Committee, March 2013 – Present
- Sepsis Task Force Committee, 2013 – Present
- Stroke Quality Improvement Committee, 2013 – Present
- Selected Publications (selected from 35 peer-reviewed publications):
- Masic D, Liang E, Long C, Sterk E, Barbas B, Rech MA. Intravenous lidocaine for acute pain: a systematic review. Pharmacotherapy. Accepted in press.
- Shah T, Sterk E, Rech MA. Correspondence to 1-hour bundle, an updated version of 3-hour bundle. Am J Emerg Med. 2018 Jul 18. pii: S0735-6757(18)30596-5. doi: 10.1016/j.ajem.2018.07.037. [Epub ahead of print]
- Long CM, Mehrhoff C, Abdel-Latief E, Rech MA, Laubham M. Factors Influencing Pediatric Emergency Department Visits for Low-Acuity Conditions. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2018 Jul 16. doi: 10.1097/PEC.0000000000001553. [Epub ahead of print]
- Steuber H, Williams D, Rech MA. Leave the levofloxacin? A case report of levofloxacin-induced psychosis. Am J Emerg Med. 2018 Aug;36(8):1528.e1-1528.e2.
- Rech MA, Colon Hidalgo D, Larson J, Zavala S, Mosier M. Vitamin D in burn-injured patients. Burns. 2018 May 15. pii: S0305-4179(18)30240-7. doi: 10.1016/j.burns.2018.04.015. [Epub ahead of print]
- Hammond DA, McGinn K, Rech MA, Grgurich P, Wells Mulherin D, Gonzales JP, Berger K. Professional Benefits of a Web-based Journal Club for Critical Care Residents and Their Mentors. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education. Posted online on 29 Mar 2018.
- Hirschy R, Davis T, Shah T, Rech MA. Treatment of Life-Threatening ACE-Inhibitor Induced Angioedema. Adv Emerg Nurs J. Accepted in press.
- Hirschy R, Sterk E, Rech MA. Time spent in the emergency department and outcomes in patients with severe sepsis and septic shock. Adv Emerg Nurs J. 2018 Apr/Jun;40(2):94-103.
- Shah T, Sterk E, Rech MA. Emergency Department sepsis screening tool decreases time to antibiotics in patients with sepsis, Am J Emerg Med. 2018 Jan 28. pii: S0735-6757(18)30061-5. doi: 10.1016/j.ajem.2018.01.060. [Epub ahead of print]
- Wexler A, Rech MA. Case Report: Reversal of Warfarin-Associated Life-Threatening Bleed with an Attenuated Dose of 4-Factor Prothrombin Complex Concentrate. Ann Pharmacother. 2018 Feb;52(2):212-213.
- Kattub H, Sterk E, Rech MA, Bukar B, Khan S. Early Recognition and Treatment of Sepsis after the Addition of Lactate to Critical Laboratory Call List. J Intensive Care Med. 2018 Feb; 33(2):111-115.
- Rech MA, Stephanie Bennett S, Donahey E. Pharmacist Participation in Acute Ischemic Stroke Decreases Door-to-Needle Time to Tissue Plasminogen Activator. Ann Pharmacother. 2017 2017 Dec;51(12):1084-1089.
- Rech MA, Von Roenn N, Durazo-Arvizu R, Cotler SJ, Kramer H. Vitamin D Levels Are Associated with Liver Disease Severity in Patients with Cirrhosis. J Ren Hepat Disord 2017;1(2):1–9.
- Rech MA, Barbas B, Chaney W, Greenhalgh E, Turck C. When to Pick the Nose: Out-of-hospital and Emergency Department Intranasal Administration of Medications. Ann Emerg Med. 2017 Aug; 70(2):203-211.
- Rech MA, Mosier MJ, Zelisko S, Netzer G, Kovacs EJ, Afshar M. Comparison of a novel coding algorithm versus the American Burn Association sepsis definition to examine the epidemiology of sepsis in burn-injured adults. J Burn Care Res. 2017 Sep/Oct; 38(5):312-318.
- Wong A, Erdman M, Hammond D, Holt T, Holzhausen J, Horng M, Huang LL, Jarvis J, Kram B, Kram S, Lesch C, Mercer J, Rech MA, Rivosecchi R, Stump B, Teevan C, Day S. Major publications in the critical care pharmacotherapy literature: January 2015 – December 2015. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2017 Mar 1;74(5):295-311.
- Selected International, National and Regional Presentations:
- “Anecdotes on Antidotes”, January 2017, Society of Critical Care Medicine Congress in Honolulu, Hawaii
- “Picking Your Patient’s Nose: Emergency Use of Intranasal Medications”, August 2016, Chicagoland Critical Care Conference, Chicago Illinois
- “When to Pick the Nose: Intranasal Medication Administration”, April 2016, Illinois Emergency Nurses Association Spring Symposium, Niles, Illinois
- “Updates in Anticoagulants: NOACs and Stroke”, October 2015, Midwest Stroke Action Alliance Conference, Illinois
- “An Update on ID in the ED”, April 2015, Illinois Emergency Nurses Association Spring Symposium, Niles, Illinois
Honors & Awards:
- Preceptor of the Year, Pharmacy Residency Class, 2017-2018, Pharmacy Department, Loyola University Medical Center
- Star Research Award Certificate of Achievement, 2018, Society of Critical Care Medicine
- Presidential Citation Award, 2018, Society of Critical Care Medicine
- Preceptor of the Year, Pharmacy Residency Class, 2013 – 2014, Pharmacy Department, Loyola University Medical Center
Spending time with my husband and chasing around my one year old son, traveling, music, running