Trent Reed, D.O., FACEP
Professor – Department of Emergency Medicine and Medical Education, Loyola University Chicago – Stritch School of Medicine
Assistant Dean and Director, Simulation Education
Vice Chair, Department of Medical Education
Director, Continuing Medical Education
Stony Brook University Hospital Department of Emergency Medicine, 2002-2005
University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine, 1997-2001
Areas Of Interest:
Medical Education, Simulation, Innovation and Technology in Education, Interprofessional Education
- Chair, Curricular Innovations and Technology in Education Subcommittee of Central Curricular Authority, SSOM
- Director, Educational Programs, Dept of EM
- Griswold-Theodorson S, Ponnuru S, Dong C, Szyld D, Reed T, McGaghie W, “Beyond the Simulation Laboratory: A Realist Synthesis of Clinical Outcomes of Simulation Based Mastery Learning”. Academic Medicine, 2015;90(11):1553-1560. PMID: 26375271
- Reed T, Pirotte M, McHugh M, Oh L, Lovett S, Hoyt A, Quinones D, Adams W, Gruener G, McGaghie W,
Mastery Learning Improves Medical Student Performance and Retention of Core
Clinical Skills”. Simulation in Healthcare: The Journal of the Society for Simulation
in Healthcare, 2016;11(3):173-180. PMID: 27093509
- Horsley T, Reed T, Muccino K, Quinones D, Siddall V, McCarthy J, “Developing a Foundation for Interprofessional Education within Nursing and Medical Curricula”. Nurse Educator, 2016;41(5):234-238. PMID: 26963036
- Reed T, Horsley T, Muccino K, Quinones D, Siddall V, McCarthy J, Adams W, ”Simulation Using TeamSTEPPS to Promote Interprofessional Education and Collaborative Practice.”
2017;42(3):E1-E5. PMID: 27922901
- Haas N, Haas M, Hart E, Reed T, “Introducing Point-of-Care Ultrasound to Medical Students Using a Fractured Chicken Bone Model.” Journal of Education & Teaching in Emergency Medicine, 2017 July. https://doi.org/10.21980/J8GG95
- Kule A, Iwasaki H, Adams W, Reed T. “Overtraining in Simulation-Based Mastery Learning – Performance Translation of Ultrasound-Guided Peripheral Intravenous Catheter Placement from a Simulator to Humans”, abstract published in Western Journal of Emergency Medicine: Integrating Emergency Care with Population Health, 2017;18(5)(issue supplement).
- Wieschhaus K, Nye J, Greene J, Frothingham C, Reed T. “Introducing Allopathic Medical Students to Osteopathic Principles and Manipulative Techniques”. Notification of abstract acceptance by The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association, 2018 May.
- Reed T. “AHA ACLS 2015 Guidelines Update”. Department of Emergency Medicine Grand Rounds, Loyola University Chicago, SSOM, 2016 January.
- Panel Member Discussion. “Step Up the Fourth Year”. PCM3, SSOM, 2016 June.
- Reed T, Kule A, Lovett S, McHugh M. “Hot Topics in Emergency Medicine – Push-Dose Pressors”. Department of Emergency Medicine Grand Rounds, Loyola University Chicago, SSOM, 2016 September.
- Reed T. “From Dreams to Blushing – How to Look Better Than You Are”. Department of Psychiatry Faculty Retreat keynote speaker (theme: Finding Meaning in Our Work as Medical Educators), Loyola University Chicago, SSOM, 2017 May.
- West Suburban Family Medicine Resident Intubation and Central Venous Catheterization Simulation Training Workshop; Activity Director, Course Development and Instructor, 2017 September.
- Reed T, Horsley TL, Quinones D, Szarek J, Dong C. “Applying the flipped classroom model to interprofessional simulation.” 60 minutes workshop, Collaborating Across Boarders (CAB) VI Conference; Banff, Canada; 2017 October.
- Szarek J, Reed T, Horsley TL, Callender D. “Designing simulation-based interprofessional education for novice to experienced teams.” 90 minute workshop,
- International Meeting on Simulation in Healthcare; Los Angeles CA; 2018 January.
- Course directors Trent Reed DO, Emily Anderson PhD and Gregory Gruener MD MBA MHPE – Foundations of Medical Education Research – Leischner Department of Medical Education Faculty Development Certificate Program. 2018 February-May.
- Wieschhaus K, Nye J, Greene J, Frothingham C, Reed T. Introducing Allopathic Medical Students to Osteopathic Principles and Manipulative Treatment: Efficacy of a 3-month Elective. Poster presentation. Central Group on Educational Affairs Association of American Medical Colleges; Rochester MN; 2018 March.
- Kule A, Richards R, Adams W, Reed T. “Ultrasound-guided Peripheral Intravenous Catheter Placement Skill Retention – Does Overtraining in Simulation-based Mastery Leaning Improve Skill Translation from a Simulator to Humans 6 Months Out?” Podium presentation, American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine Convention; New York City NY; 2018 March.
- Airway Training Course; Activity Director and Instructor; Gottlieb Memorial Hospital physicians; 2018 April.
- Wieschhaus K, Nye J, Greene J, Frothingham C, Reed T. Introducing Allopathic Medical Students to Osteopathic Principles and Manipulative Techniques. Podium presentation. AACOM (American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine) Annual Conference; Washington, DC; 2018 April.
- Horsley TL, Reed T, Quinones D, Siddall V, Calandra MH, Muccino K, Adams W. Building a Culture of Safety for Healthcare Professionals. Podium presentation. INACSL (International Nursing Association for Clinical Simulation and Learning) Conference; Toronto, ON Canada; 2018 June.
- Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) Council of Faculty and Academic Societies (CFAS), SSOM Faculty Representative
- Council of Residency Directors in Emergency Medicine (CORD) Student Advising Task Force
- Central Curriculum Authority (CCA)
- Curricular Innovation and Technology in Education (CITE) subcommittee CCA, Chair
- SSOM Administrative Council (SAC)
- Ambassador, Loyola Institute for Transformative Interprofessional Education (ITIE)
- ITIE Research Committee Subgroup, Chair
- Center for Simulation Education Advisory Committee
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support, Course Director
- Emergency Medicine Student Affairs, Chair
- Emergency Medicine Committee on Academic Rank and Tenure
Honors & Awards:
- 2014, 2018 Hayes Award nominee for excellence in advising, mentoring, and supporting students, Loyola University Chicago
- 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017 Outstanding Clinical Science Faculty Award, Graduating Class, SSOM
- 2013-2017 Top 10% of teaching faculty for Loyola University Chicago, SSOM
- 2011-2013, 2015-2016, 2017-2018 Emergency Medicine Clerkship, Clinical Educator of the Year
- 2013-2015, 2016-2017 Emergency Medicine Clerkship, Small Group Facilitator of the Year, SSOM
- 2005 Resident Award for Excellence in Teaching, SUNY at Stony Brook
- 2004-2005 Chief Resident of Emergency Medicine, SUNY at Stony Brook
Spending time with my wife and 3 kids, health & fitness, meditation, traveling