Ethan Sterk DO, FACEP
Associate Professor – Department of Emergency Medicine, Loyola University Chicago – Stritch School of Medicine
Medical Director – LUMC Sepsis Program, Loyola University Medical Center
Combined Residency – Emergency Medicine / Internal Medicine – University of Illinois Chicago (2003 – 2008)
Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine – Midwestern University, Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine (1999 – 2003)
Areas Of Interest:
Sepsis Management, EM Critical Care, Evidenced-based Standardization of Care
- Jan 2013 – present Medical Director, LUMC Sepsis Program
- July 2016 – present ED Quality Improvement Committee Member, LUMC
- July 2018 – present Provider Informatics and Medical Records Committee Member, LUMC
- Unterman S, Zimmerman M, Tyo C, Sterk E, Gehm L, Edison M, Benedetti E, Orsay E. A Descriptive Analysis of 1251 Solid Organ Transplant Visits to the Emergency Department. Western Journal of Emergency Medicine, 10(1), 2009.
- Rech MA, Bennett S, Chaney W, Sterk E, Risk factors for mortality in septic patients who received etomidate. American Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2015 Oct;33(10):1340-3.
- Kattub H, Sterk E, Rech MA, Bukar B, Khan S. Early Recognition and Treatment of Sepsis after the Addition of Lactate to Critical Laboratory Call List. J Intensive Care Med. 2018 Feb; 33(2):111-115.
- Shah T, Sterk E, Rech MA. Emergency Department sepsis screening tool decreases time to antibiotics in patients with sepsis, Am J Emerg Med. 2018 Jan 28.
- Hirschy, R, Sterk E, Rech MA. Time spent in the emergency department and outcomes in patients with severe sepsis and septic shock. Advanced Emergency Nursing Journal, 2018 Apr/Jun;40(2):94-103.
- Correspondence to 1-hour bundle, an updated version of 3-hour bundle. Published online: July 18, 2018. Tanvi Shah, Ethan Sterk, Megan A. Rech. The American Journal of Emergency Medicine. https://www.ajemjournal.com/article/S0735-6757(18)30596-5/fulltext
- Masic D, Liang E, Long C, Sterk E, Barbas B, Rech MA, Intravenous lidocaine for acute pain: a systematic review, Pharmacotherapy. 10 October 2018
- Borrelli G, Koch E, Sterk E, Lovett S, Rech MA, Early recognition of sepsis through emergency medical services pre-hospital screening, The American Journal of Emergency Medicine. Published online: October 20, 2018
- “Evidence-Based Sepsis Management – Accelerating the Front End, Shortening the Back End”, AACC 2014 Annual Meeting & Clinical Lab Expo, Chicago, IL, July 2014.
- Sepsis lecture for the Internal Medicine, Emergency Medicine and Critical Care programs at Franciscan St. James Health – Olympia Fields (Oct 2013)
- Illinois Emergency Nurse’s Association – Spring Symposium, Lisle IL, “50 Shades of Sepsis” (April 2016)
- EMS case conference, LUMC, “50 Shades of Sepsis” (April 2016)
- Sepsis – Grand Rounds, LUMC – Department of Medicine (February 2013), Department of Emergency Medicine (October 2013), Department of Pathology (October 2013), Department of Surgery (November 2013)
Honors & Awards:
- 2011 – 2013 Emergency Medicine Clerkship Lecture of the Year (Sepsis lecture)
- 2015 – 2016 Emergency Medicine Clerkship Podcast Lecture of the Year (Chest pain lecture)
- Top 10% of clinical teaching faculty for the Stritch School of Medicine 2015-17
I enjoy backcountry hiking/camping, fishing, running, surfing as well as traveling/spending time with my wife & 3 boys.